In Ephesians 6, parents are challenged to bring up their children in the discipline and instruction of the Lord. We also see God’s commission to parents in chapter six of Deuteronomy:
5) “And you shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. 6) And these words, which I am commanding you today, shall be on your heart; 7) and you shall teach them diligently to your sons and shall talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise up.
We want to help you build the foundation of your child’s life!
- Knowledge and understanding of God.
- Leading each child into a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
- Allowing the Holy Spirit to direct daily lives.
Kids need parents who make it their business to know where their kids are spiritually. The average child will spend over 1,000 hours every year in school and less than 50 hours in church. The average parent has over 10 times more opportunities to discuss spiritual issues in one year than a church leader does in 10 years. The church has limited potential to impact the heart of your child. What happens at home in many ways is more important than what happens at church.
Leading Your Child to Christ
First of all, we want to assure you that our heart at OHBC is never to pressure a child into making a decision. We do, however, love to see children “make steps toward God.” Often times, children will go through three stages concerning a public profession of faith in Jesus Christ.
- The first stage is Discovery. This is where the child discovers the love of Jesus Christ.
- The second is Discernment. In this stage, the child begins to understand that they need to respond personally to His love.
- The final stage is Decision. In this stage, the child realizes their personal need for Christ and makes a personal decision to accept God’s gift of salvation through Jesus Christ.