Mark your calendars for the fifth annual “It’s Christmas” program this year at Oak Hill Baptist Church. This wonderful program of celebration and joy is filled with both classic and contemporary Christmas music. Full of costuming and dance, there is something for the entire family to enjoy during the holiday season! This is a community-wide event and all are invited. Please make plans to join us for this wonderful Christmas celebration. Tickets will be available in October.
- December 1st @ 7:00 pm
- December 3rd @ 2:00 pm
- December 3rd @ 6:00 pm
The Oak Hill Worship & Arts team is currently recruiting anyone who wants to use their gifts and talents for It’s Christmas 2017! Each volunteer plays a very important part in the program and we cannot do it without you. There are many roles including choirs of all ages, orchestra, cast, and others that are “behind the scenes.” Below are all of the volunteer opportunities. If you are not sure where you want to serve, please stop by the information tables in the Worship Center foyer after church and we’ll help find the best place for you!
Our first rehearsals will begin in August. Schedule and program information is available at the Oak Hill Worship Center foyer tables and online here.
Click here to register to participate or fill out the form below. We will be in touch soon!
Directed by Ashley Barnes, the program choreography is a highlight of the It’s Christmas program at Oak Hill. There are various cast roles including non-speaking drama (enacting town and nativity scenes) and dance choreography (waltz, disco, and other basic movements). The drama and choreography are designed to help the audience understand and celebrate the true meaning of Christmas. No experience is required for cast roles and participants of all ages are welcome.
Youth Choir & Choreography
The Youth Choir, led by Eddy Sisson, will be highlighted during the program. The youth also learn and enjoy an added element of choreography to help convey the meaning behind the spoken and sung words.
Youth Shepherd (parent/mentor)
The shepherds for youth play a very important role working with youth participants and assisting with dress/costume as well as other back-stage activities throughout the program. This is a great role for a parent or youth mentor.
The Children’s choir, led by Kendra Nance, will be highlighted in the program. The Children’s Choir meets throughout the school year and will be learning songs for It’s Christmas as part of their regular practices on Sunday afternoons.
Children’s Shepherd (parent/mentor)
Assistants for the Children’s Choir play a very special role. They assist the Children’s Choir Director by leading musical lessons, contacting choir members and parents, and/or helping the children be in the right place at the right time and prepared with the right dress/costume. They also assist with back-stage chaperoning throughout the program.
The Adult Choir, led by Gordon Powers, is an open group and new members are welcome to join at any time. Rehearsals are on Sundays at 4:00 pm and Wednesdays at 6:30 pm. Choose which works best for you. The choir will learn and practice music for It’s Christmas during the regular rehearsals and joint rehearsals with the Praise Band/Orchestra.
The Praise Band and Orchestra, led by Joey Orr and Kristie Thompson, includes strings, woodwind, brass, and percussion musicians. Rehearsals are on Wednesdays at 6:30 pm. The Praise Band and Orchestra will practice music for It’s Christmas during regular rehearsals and joint rehearsals with the adult choir.
This team of individuals, led by Ken Couch, specializes in audio, video, lighting, stage management, and photography.
There are many activities and teams that support the production of the It’s Christmas program. These volunteers play a huge role in the success of It’s Christmas.
- Breakdown/Cleanup – Following the program, this team works with the Decorations and Set/Props teams to break down all of the décor, move items to storage, and return the Worship Center and foyer to normal appearance.
- Costumes/Dressing Rooms – This team handles costume design and management for all costumes used to enhance and convey the program message. There are needs for basic sewing, fittings, and backstage organization during dress rehearsals and shows. This creative team is also responsible for dressing room assignments and setup.
- Decorations (Foyer) – This team functions at Oak Hill year-round. For It’s Christmas, they turn the Worship Center foyer into a unique, holiday-filled, welcoming environment for arriving guests. This team needs help with transporting items from/to storage, building new structures, and setting up the Worship Center foyer.
- Meals and Hospitality – This team is responsible for coordinating all aspects of two meals provided for the cast of It’s Christmas as well as snacks/water for long rehearsals and programs.
- Publicity – This team’s job is to get the word out to our Oak Hill family and more importantly to the community, family, friends, and neighbors. This team will have the opportunity to be creative and explore the best ways to do that.
- Sets/Props (Worship Center) – The job of this team is to design, build, reuse and enhance sets that will be used in the Worship Center to help promote the program theme. Those with carpentry, construction, creativity, and painting skills would be great assets to this team. This team may also assist in moving props during the program.
- Ticket Management – This team manages ticket orders, distribution, and tracking for the three It’s Christmas programs. This team is critical to help generate a buzz and help with publicity by making tickets readily available. Accurate ticket counts are essential to preparing to welcome and accommodate the anticipated crowd sizes.