Oak Hill Baptist Church was established in 1902 in the yard of a house on Garret Street in Griffin, Georgia. Mr. Tom Moore named the church “Oak Hill.” The Reverend J.C. Cooper was the first pastor. In 1908, while Reverend W.H. Kendrick was pastor, the church was destroyed by a tornado. Services were then held in a house until a new church could be built. At the time, services consisted of Sunday School each Sunday with preaching services every other Sunday.
During the pastorate of Reverend J.V. Pittman (1938-1940), the church voted to build a pastorium. In June 1940, the church called its first full-time pastor, Reverend Merrill Meadows. Under Reverend Meadows pastorate the church became self-supporting and a choir was organized for the first time.
In March 1945, a building committee was elected to make plans for a new church building. Construction actually began in 1948 during the pastorate of Reverend Walter Logan. Through the blessings of God, the dedication of the members, and the generosity of Rushton Mills, by November 1952 the buildings had been completed and the church marked its freedom from indebtedness with a note burning. The facilities were remodeled in the 60’s, and expanded with an educational building in the 70’s.
Oak Hill relocated to the current site on Lakeside Road in 1999. In the winter of 2006 the new worship facility was dedicated and completed for use. In November of 2017, the church called Stephen Dervan as Lead Pastor. Stephen served formerly at Sherwood Baptist Church in Albany, Georgia. To learn more about Pastor Stephen check out his bio, here.
We hope you’ll join us this Sunday for worship and become a part of our church history.